Interactive Map (NEW!)
The NBRC has created an online mapping resource to assist applicants to identify their Congressional Members, Distressed Counties, and contact information for Local Development Districts. Once there, click "Details" in the upper left hand corner for easy-to-use instructions on manipulating the map.
By statute, the Commission is required to annually assess the level of economic and demographic distress among the counties in its service area. Assessing distress is important as the resulting designations reflect whether or not the Commission can provide grants within a county as well as what level of match is required of Commission funded projects.
Every five years, the NBRC creates a new strategic plan for its region and operations. The Plan acts as a roadmap for NBRC's investments as well as identifying opportunities for job and wealth creation.
The NBRC Federal-State partnership is aided by a group of regional organizations called Local Development Districts (LDD's) that provide technical assistance to applicants, assist the NBRC in its outreach activities, and generally administer NBRC investments for grantees.
Grant Administration for Recipients
Administration is completed by contract through the Local Development Districts
State Economic Development Strategies
NBRC Member States will typically utilize State economic developmnent plans as they prioritize NBRC funding applications. State plans that are used include:
For New York
- North Country Regional Economic Development Council
NBRC Coverage Area: Clinton, Essex, Hamilton, Franklin, St. Lawrence, Jefferson, and Lewis counties
- Mohawk Valley Regional Economic Development Council
NBRC Coverage Area: Fulton, Herkimer, and Oneida counties
- Central New York Regional Economic Development Council
NBRC Coverage Area: Oswego, Madison, and Cayuga counties
- Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council
NBRC Coverage Area: Seneca County
- Northern Forest Center: The Center is a regional, four-state non-profit that works to create economic opportunity and community vitality from healthy working forests in the NBRC region.
- Northeastern States Research Cooperative: The NSRC is a competitive grant program funded by the USDA Forest Service and supporting cross-disciplinary, collaborative research in the Northern Forest
Federal & State Resources
- Economic Development Administration U.S. Department of Commerce
- Rural Development U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
- Maine Department of Economic and Community Development
- New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development
- Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development
- New York Dept of State, Local Government Division
America's Other Federal-State Partnership Commissions
- National Broadband Map
- BroadbandUSA: An introduction to effective public-private partnerships for broadband investments
- BroadbandUSA: Guide to Federal Funding of Broadband Projects
- State Broadband Initiatives: Maine, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont
- Vermont Broadband Plan